Summer Reading, Blast Off!
Launch into Summer with the 2019 Summer Reading Program: A Universe of Stories
A quick history lesson: Tulsa City-County Library’s Summer Reading Program, as we know it, started in the summer of 1982. The theme was the 20-year anniversary of the library as a city-county system, and it was strictly for school-aged children. Encouraging the love of reading was the primary goal, and kids who finished the program earned a shiny reading medal they could wear proudly around their necks.
In its essence, the Summer Reading Program of 2019 is the same.
We still emphasize the love of reading.
And kids who finish the program still walk away with a shiny medal to wear proudly.
But nearly four decades later, the Summer Reading Program is so much MORE. First, MORE programs: There are now four distinct programs for each age bracket (Birth to Pre-K, Children’s, Tween & Teen and Adult). MORE rewards and prizes. And MORE free entertainment at every library branch.
To participate, simply visit one of the 24 Tulsa City-County Library locations (and bookmobile!) and sign up for the 2019 Summer Reading Program, which kicked off on May 28 and will end August 3.
“A Universe of Stories” is the space-age theme, and there’s a program for every age – babies, children, teens AND adults – with special prizes, events and coupons for all!
Visit www.tulsalibrary.org/summer for more information.
5 Facts to Remember about the 2019 Summer Reading Program:
1. It runs May 28 through August 3. 10 weeks of summer fun!
2. There is a program for everyone at all library locations! Babies and preschoolers, children, tweens and teens AND adults can all participate! Drop by one of our 24 library locations (or the bookmobile) around Tulsa or Tulsa County.
3. For babies, preschoolers and children, read (or have read to) 8 books + make 4 library visits = earn a medal and book of coupons for free food and entertainment. Babies, preschoolers and children who complete the program also are entered in a grand prize drawing.
4. If babies, preschoolers and children read (or have read to them) 12 more books = earn a bonus prize! Babies and preschoolers will earn a plush cow jumping over the moon toy, and children win an inflatable space shuttle.
5. FREE family entertainment – in the library! From magicians to rock bands, puppet shows to juggling acts, there is something cool scheduled at all of our library locations nearly every day this summer. Check out www.tulsalibrary.org/summer for a full list of events.
What do kids earn? What can they win?
When babies, preschoolers, and children who are entering 5th grade complete their programs, they will receive their own medal and a coupon book, with coupons for:
- Admission to Tulsa State Fair
- Cinnamon sticks from Mazzio’s Italian Eatery
- Admission to Tulsa Drillers game
- Admission to Tulsa Zoo
- Decorated cookie from Merritt’s Bakery
- Round-trip bus ride on Tulsa Transit
- 8-piece chicken wings from Papa John’s
- Admission to Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium
- Admission to Discovery Lab
- Admission to Safari Joe’s H2O
- Bomb Pop or cookie from Smitty’s Garage
- Admission to Oklahoma Aquarium
- Admission to Tulsa Roughnecks FC game
- Frozen custard one scoop vanilla or chocolate cone from Freckles Frozen Custard
For grand prizes, babies and preschoolers who complete the program will be entered to win one of 10 $50 gift cards to the Kiddlestix toy store.
School-aged children who complete the program will be entered to win one of these grand prizes:
- Bicycle with helmet, provided by the Friends of the Helmerich Library and Tulsa Sunrise Rotary, with special assistance from Phat Tire Bike Shop (eight bikes and helmets will be given away)
- Hornsby Birthday Party Experience courtesy of the Tulsa Drillers
- Family membership to the Oklahoma Aquarium
- Mazzio’s Italian Eatery pizza party for 10 (10 parties will be given away)
- Aviator (Family) membership to the Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium
- Tulsa Roughnecks FC Voucher for 2020 Family Stand tickets to any Roughnecks regular season home game, provided by the Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Set of four tickets to OKC Thunder vs. Dallas Mavericks preseason game at BOK Center on Oct. 8, 2019 (two sets will be given away)
- Fishing trip with News on 6 Anchor Tess Maune, plus fishing gear, with special assistance from Five Oaks Lodge (six kids win will the fishing trip).
- Tulsa State Fair Mega Ride Pass wristband. (25 wristbands will be given away!) The ride wristband includes unlimited rides for all 11 days of the 2019 Tulsa State Fair, Sept. 26-Oct. 6, as well as gate admission. All midway rides are included; excludes extreme rides.