PMA Announces Winners of 2014 Editorial and Design Awards for Parenting Publications
TulsaKids had a strong showing at the Parenting Media Association (PMA) convention in Baltimore in February. Rather than blogging today, I want to recognize the talented writers, photographers and designers that I have the pleasure of working with each month. You may know Abby Rodgers, our web and social media editor – at least you may converse with her electronically via TulsaKids’ Facebook page, or you may enjoy the calendar, either in-print or online; you may receive her e-newsletter or interact with her on Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest. Abby received several awards this year. Chuck Foshee is our publisher and graphic designer, but the rest of the winners are freelancers who work hard to bring our readers the best information, images and entertainment they can. Congratulations to all the winners! And thank you for all you do.
Below, you’ll find more information about PMA, the judges and a list of awards:
Parenting Media Association (PMA) gave out 301 Editorial and Design
Competition and General Excellence awards to parenting newspapers and magazines at a banquet on February 28, 2015, the climax of the three-day PMA Annual Convention in Baltimore, MD.
PMA’s Editorial and Design Awards Competition recognizes excellence in journalism, photography and design achieved by publishers, editors, writers and designers at member publications. Prof. Daryl Moen of the University of Missouri’s School of Journalism coordinated the annual contest. A panel of judges reviewed entries from many publications to choose the winners in each category. All judges drew upon significant professional experience in selecting the winners.
“Many of the larger writing categories were the most competitive” Prof. Moen said. “The best across the board were as good, or better, than most years,” he added. “The digital categories, as a group, continue to grow as more publications do more on their websites and with digital newsletters.”
Established in March 1988, PMA is a national trade association of regional parenting publications reaching from Seattle to Boston and from Minneapolis to Miami. Publications in Canada and Australia are also active members.
TulsaKids’ editorial, design and general excellence honors include the following:
- Calendar of Events: Abby Rodgers, Silver
- Column: Child Development & Parenting Issues: Kiley Roberson, Gold
- Travel Feature: Diane Tritt Eaton, Silver
- Profile: Karen Moult, Bronze
- Interview: Brandon Schmitz, Silver
- Column: Humor: Jill VanTrease, Bronze
- News Feature: Karen Moult, Silver
- Front Cover: Original Photo: Rachel Coward, Bronze
- Interior Photography: Sheeba Atiqui, Silver
- Design: Briefs/Short Stuff: Chuck Foshee, Bronze
- Design: Calendar of Events: Abby Rodgers, Gold
- Design: Feature Layout: Leslie Hoyt (photographer); Chuck Foshee (designer), Bronze
- Ancillary Cover: TulsaKids Baby Guide: Leslie Hoyt, photographer; Chuck Foshee (designer), Silver
- Ancillary Overall Design: TulsaKids Baby Guide, Chuck Foshee, Gold
- Best Blog/Bloggers: Betty Casey, Gold