Halloween Treats to Make With Kids
Four fruit-based, spooky treats that won’t leave you terrorized by sugar highs.
Your kids will no doubt get plenty of sugar this October. On the other hand, you may still want to make some fun, Halloween-themed treats with them! Here are some healthy options that the kids will love making and devouring.
- Chocolate Chips (mini and regular)
- Peel and cut bananas in half.
- Use chocolate chips to create ghostly faces. Use two mini chips for the hollow eyes and a larger one for the shrieking mouth. Be sure to orient the face so that the flat end of the banana is the bottom.
- Almond Bark
- Mini chocolate chips
- Melt almond bark in a microwave-safe bowl, heating it in short bursts until melted.
- Dip strawberries in melted almond bark and lay on wax paper.
- Add chocolate chip eyes. (Optional: Use melted chocolate or black frosting to create moaning mouths.)
Green Apple Monsters
- Green apples
- Candy Eyeballs
- Strawberries (sliced)
- Peanut Butter
- Sunflower Seeds
- Cut your apples into quarters. Carve each slice so that it looks like there are two green lips on the top and bottom and an open mouth in the middle.
- Coat the “mouth” with peanut butter. Add a strawberry slice so that it hangs out of the apple, like a tongue!
- Stick sunflower seeds into the top inner “lip” so they look like crooked teeth.
- Attach candy eyes using peanut butter as an adhesive to the top lip.
Mandarin Orange Pumpkins
- Mandarin oranges, peeled
- Slice celery into small rectangles. Set in the middle of each whole mandarin orange. Voila! The perfect pumpkin!
Because it wouldn’t be Halloween without some indulgence, here’s an extra recipe for some tasty chocolate bats!
- Reece’s cups (unwrapped)
- Vanilla frosting
- Candy eyes
- Separate the individual Oreos, removing the crème-filled center. Break each cookie in half, creating half-moon shapes.
- Use frosting to attach two Oreo “wings” to each Reece’s cup, positioning the wings so that they meet in the center of the PB cup.
- Use frosting to attach candy eyes in the center of the Reece’s cup, overlapping with the Oreo wings.