Back-to-School Events in the Tulsa Area
Get back-to-school ready with the help of these local events! This list will be updated as more information becomes available. If you have an event you think should be added, feel free to email email@example.com with information.
TULSA PUBLIC SCHOOLS BACK TO SCHOOL EVENTS
From a TPS Update, 8/13/2021:
“We hope you will stop by any of these back to school events to pick up school supplies and resource information to get your child ready for the first day of classes!
- Saturday, August 14 from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: North Tulsa Economic Development Initiative (NTEDi)’s 17th annual North Tulsa Back 2 School Parent/Community Enrichment event at Pine Premier Child Care (518 E. Pine St.)
- Saturday, August 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Tulsa Public Schools and Coalition of Hispanic Organizations’ 5th annual Back to School Community Resource Fair at Hicks Park Community Center (3443 S. Mingo Rd.)
- Saturday, August 14 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Tulsa Public Schools Parent Resource Center Back to School Bash, at the Alcott Building (525 E. 46th St. N.)
- Wednesday, August 18 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Indian Education Program’s school supply giveaway at the Indian Education offices at the Grant Building (7635 E. 42nd Pl.)
- Wednesday, August 18 from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Caring Van immunization clinic at the Enrollment Center (2819 S. New Haven Ave) for incoming pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and 7th grade students who need vaccinations.
- Thursday, August 19 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Indian Education Program’s school supply giveaway at the Indian Education offices at the Grant Building (7635 E. 42nd Pl.)”
Back 2 School Giveaway
- When: August 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Where: Black Wall Street Market, 5616 N. Osage Market
SCHOOL SUPPLY DRIVES AND DONATIONS
From the TPS Website: “Tulsa Public Schools works with local organizations to help provide those in need with items including clothes, school supplies, shoes, and even specially requested items. Please contact your school’s counselor for assistance with uniforms or supplies for the school year.”
From the Union Public Schools Website: “The Caring Center (Clothing Closet) proudly serves Union Schools and families throughout the year. We are excited and eager to serve our community!
CenterCross Clothing Closet, 6110 S 99th E Ave
Monday – Friday 9-11 AM & Monday 6-8 PM
When Union Public Schools is in session
New & gently used clothes are also available to community members once a month through the Caring Center South, a ministry of First Baptist Tulsa. One form of identification for each person receiving clothing is required. Forms of ID accepted are: Social Security Card, Vaccine Record, Birth Certificate, Caring Center Card or picture ID. All information collected is for internal use only and will not be shared publicly.
The CenterCross Clothing Closet is open every weekday that the Union School District is in session, for the hours 9 -11 a.m. Volunteers, please show up no later than 8:30 a.m. and plan to finish up by noon.
Families living in the Sand Springs school district who need assistance with food or clothing can visit sscsok.org for information about how Sand Springs Community Services serves families.
The Pencil Box, which provides a place for teachers from eligible schools to “shop” for free school supplies, is always accepting donations of school supplies, as well as monetary donations. Learn about how to donate here.
Nothing’s Left Brewing Co. is hosting a fun family day event on August 15, 1-5 p.m., with face painting, treats for kids, and more! Plus, bring school supplies to donate and receive a free kid’s frozen slush! Supplies will be donated to Tulsa Street School + Lanier Elementary.
Restore Hope Ministries will be distributing school supplies to families in the Berryhill, Collinsville, Jenks, Sand Springs, Sperry and Tulsa school districts on August 12-14, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. at their main location at 2960 Charles Page Blvd. Get additional information at https://www.restorehope.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-SCHOOL-SUPPLIES-REGISTRATION-INFORMATION.pdf.
Jakob’s Journey and Heirloom Rustic Ales will be hosting a school supply drive on August 21 6-9 p.m. at Heirloom Rustic Ales. Items will be donated to Tulsa Public Schools students of all grade levels. Click here for more information and a list of needed items.
YWCA Tulsa is hosting a School Supplies Donation Drive from July 9-August 17. Drop of new or unused school supplies at the Patti Johnson Wilson Center (1910 S. Lewis) or East Community Center (8145 E. 17th St.). There will be a drive thru distribution event at 36th Street North Event Center on August 21st from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
“STOCK THE BUS” WITH FOSTERING CONNECTIONS
Press release: Fostering Connections is going mobile with its new Mobile Resource Center, Mobile Connections. With an innovation grant from the Tulsa Area United Way, we purchased a large bus that we’ve converted into a Mobile Resource Center that will serve rural Tulsa and Creek, Okmulgee, Pawnee/Osage, Rogers and Muskogee/Wagoner counties.
Fostering Connections improves the lives of abused and neglected children in Tulsa and contiguous counties by providing resources and building community.
On August 26th, we will host a Stock the Bus event to help fill our bus with new or “gently loved” clothing, shoes, toys, baby items and more for children in foster/kinship/guardianship/
Amy Jenson, Fostering Connections’ new Mobile Connections Manager says,“We are so excited and honored to take our resources on the road. We visit these children and their families every month and we strive to offer them some normalcy and hope during their transition.”
For more information on Fostering Connections and our work, go to www.fosteringconnectionsok.org or contact Amy at the above information.
Interviews and footage of the bus will be available before or at the time of the event.
Just Between Friends:
Broken Arrow: July 9-11, 2021 (Rhema Ninowski Rec Center)
Tulsa: August 5-8, 2021 (Woodland Hills Mall – Former Sears Location)
Broken Arrow: August 8-12, 2021 (Rhema Ninowski Rec Center)
South Tulsa: October 2021
OKLAHOMA CARING VAN PUBLIC CLINICS
The Oklahoma Caring Van provides immunization services to children who are uninsured, Medicaid-eligible or American Indian. Learn more at www.oklahomacaringfoundation.org.
Screenshot of PDF. View the whole document at http://www.oklahomacaringfoundation.org/pdf/tulsa-public-clinic-calendar.pdf.
TAX-FREE WEEKEND: August 6-8, 2021
Enjoy tax-free shopping on select back-to-school-related items.
*See our list of Places to Buy School Uniforms here
SCHOOL START DATES
- Owasso Public Schools: August 12
- Claremore Public Schools: August 12
- Sand Springs Public Schools: August 17
- Broken Arrow Public Schools: August 18 (PreK starts August 20)
- Jenks Public Schools: August 18
- Union Public Schools: August 18
- Tulsa Public Schools: August 19
- Bixby Public Schools: August 20