Aspiring writers encouraged to participate in library’s Young People’s Creative Writing Contest
Tulsa City-County Library’s annual Young People’s Creative Writing Contest gives young writers the opportunity to make their voices heard. With three age divisions in five different categories, TCCL encourages Tulsa County youths to stretch their imaginations and deepen their relationship with writing by telling their stories in their own words—or illustrations!
From Feb. 1-28, students ages 10-18 can participate in this free contest by submitting their writing online, by mail or to any TCCL branch. The contest is free to enter for those who live or attend school in Tulsa County, or have a nonresident library card.
Within each of the following categories, there are three age divisions: 10-12, 13-15 and 16-18. Participants may enter one manuscript per category but may enter all categories within their corresponding age group.
- Short Story – each entry no more than 1,500 words.
- Informal Essay – a short composition on a topic or issue giving your opinion or recounting a personal experience. Limited to 1,500 words.
- Poetry – one poem, no more than 300 words.
- Short Play – no more than six characters, no more than three locations, no more than 10 pages. Limited to five to 10 minutes in length.
- Comix – Entry must be complete in and of itself, and not a fragment of a larger work. No more than eight pages. Work can be with or without words, in black and white or color, and fiction or nonfiction. Computer-generated images are acceptable as long as they are original works (no clip art). Use 8½” by 11” paper and submit as flat work, not as a booklet.
First-, second- and third-place winners are chosen for each age group in each category. Cash prizes are awarded in the following amounts: $100 for first place, $50 for second place and $25 for third place.
All entrants will be invited to the awards presentation, which will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 6. Featured speaker Jason Reynolds, winner of the Tulsa Library Trust’s 2021 Anne V. Zarrow Award for Young Readers’ Literature, will help present awards to the contest winners.
Entry forms with rules and regulations are available for pickup at all TCCL locations or online at https://tulsalibrary.org/form/YPCWC. For more information about the Young People’s Creative Writing Contest, call 918-549-7323 or visit www.tulsalibrary.org/YPCWC.