TulsaKids' Spring Break Picks
Get a healthy start to spring by joining I AM Kids Yoga at Tulsa Botanic Garden on Tuesday, March 19, for a special Yoga Story Time! Learn more at tulsabotanic.org.
Photo provided by Tulsa Botanic Garden
Your kids may be out of school, but that doesn’t mean they can’t keep learning over Spring Break. Here are our top choices for educational Spring Break FUN! Find more ideas at tulsakids.com/calendar.
ZZZS IN THE SEAS
- When: Friday, March 15, 7 p.m.-Saturday, March 16, 8 a.m.
- Where: Oklahoma Aquarium, 300 Aquarium Dr., Jenks
Ever dreamed of sleeping with the sharks? ZZZs in the Seas is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to sleep among sharks, stingrays, seahorses and all the other creatures snoozing in our seas. The fun filled night begins with check-in at 7:00 p.m. and includes a light snack, drinks, self-guided scavenger hunt and flashlight tour, a movie, and then sweet sea-themed dreams. Wake up and enjoy breakfast before the adventure ends at 8:00 a.m. okaquarium.org
Hot Toast Music Co. at the Tulsa Zoo
- When: Thursday, March 21, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Where: Tulsa Zoo, 6421 E. 36th St. N.
Hot Toast Music Company is coming to the zoo this Spring Break! These child-centered, interactive concerts are packed with singing, dancing and instruments.
Catch one of two concerts (free with zoo admission), 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Thursday, March 21, in the H.A. Chapman Event Lodge.
Kids will make instruments and meet an animal ambassador before Hot Toast takes the stage. Facebook event page here.
SPRING BREAK STORY TIMES
- When: Tuesday-Friday, March 19-22, 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Tulsa Botanic Garden, 3900 Tulsa Botanic Dr.
Head to Tulsa Botanic Garden for a different garden-themed story followed by activities each morning. Tuesday’s Story Time will be a special Yoga Story Time with I AM Kids Yoga, incorporating yoga, music and dance in story-telling. tulsabotanic.org
STORYTIME IN THE GARDEN
- When: Thursday, March 21, 10 a.m.
- Where: Linnaeus Teaching Garden, 2435 S. Peoria Ave.
Story Time will be held for children and toddlers through second grade at the Linnaeus Teaching Garden. Older children who enjoy listening to stories read aloud are welcome to attend as well. Parents are encouraged to bring snacks, drinks, and blankets for their family. Story Time will take place rain or shine, but will be moved indoors if there is inclement weather. tulsagardencenter.org
FUNDAY SUNDAY AT GILCREASE MUSEUM
- When: Sunday, March 17, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Where: Gilcrease Museum, 1400 N. Gilcrease Museum Rd.
The third Sunday of every month is Funday Sunday. It’s a FREE admission day loaded with fun for the whole family. Visitors can enjoy art-making stations throughout the museum, special exhibition-themed programming, open galleries and our gardens.
Art activities take place from noon to 4 p.m., but admission is free all day. Gilcrease.org/events
- When: Sunday, March 17 and 24, 12-7 p.m.
- Where: ahha Tulsa, 101 E. Archer St.
Every Sunday in The STUDIO, you'll discover special activities and new creative challenges, techniques, and materials for kids of all ages to explore. You'll also have the chance to meet artists participating in the Open Studios program in the nearby printmaking, metal, photography, and digital media labs. ahhatulsa.org
WHAT IF...SPRING BREAK CAMP AT AHHA TULSA
- When: March 18-22, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Before-care and after-care available)
- Where: ahha Tulsa, 101 E. Archer St.
We build a Rube Goldberg chain reaction that used life-size materials?
We create sculpture from the parts found inside everyday appliances?
We use drawing as a way to communicate, problem solve, and build empathy?
Spend your spring break at ahha Tulsa exploring big questions like these and learning how to think like an artist. Each day will focus on artists’ habits of mind, such as observation, problem solving, and communication. Participants will learn to look at and talk about art, explore questions and new ideas, and try their hands at unfamiliar media and techniques in a fun and friendly environment.
Caregivers may drop off students between 8:00–9:00 AM and pick up between 5:00–5:45 PM. ahhatulsa.org/classes/what-if-spring-break-camp/
SPRING BREAK DROP-IN ACTIVITIES AT NATIONAL COWBOY & WESTERN HERITAGE MUSEUM
- When: March 18-22, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Where: National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, 1700 Northeast 63rd St., Oklahoma City
Take a day trip to Oklahoma City and visit the National Cowboy Museum for daily activities inspired by the museum’s current exhibits! The schedule is:
- March 18: Make a Mini Tipi
- March 19: Canvas Art
- March 20: Create a Parfleche Bag
- March 21: Cherokee Storytelling with Gayle Ross
- March 22: Bison Gallery Hunt
Learn more at nationalcowboymuseum.org.
Spring Break Clay Day with Tiny Things by Bowen
- When: Wednesday, March 20, 2-6:30 p.m.
- Where: Whitty Books, 2407 E. Admiral Blvd.
Bring the whole family over to the Whitty Books next Wednesday the 20th for a drop-in clay workshop! This special extended-hours polymer clay workshop is just what your Spring Break needs!
Perfect for anyone ages 5 and up (possible for younger, with parental help), this drop-in workshop allows your tiny crafter (and you!) to make unique oven-bake creations! $8 per tiny item. Read more here.
- When: Monday-Thursday, March 18-21, 1-2 p.m.; Friday, March 22, 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Where: Martin Regional Library, 2601 S. Garnett Rd.
Take part in various STEAM-related activities during spring break! The library will have a different activity involving science, technology, engineering, arts or math every day of the week. Scheduled activities are: March 18, "Color Fizz" (Ages 4-8). March 19, "Synth Kits” (Ages 8-12, may want to bring headphones). March 20, "Building With Marshmallows and Toothpicks" (Ages 6-12). March 21, "Coffee-Filter Butterfly" (Ages 0-12). March 22, "Play Store" (Ages 0-6). Day cares and large groups, please call ahead as supplies are limited. Call Jocelyn at 918-549-7595 with any questions or concerns. tulsalibrary.org
SPRING BREAK CAMPS AT DISCOVERY LAB
- When: March 18-22
- Where: Discovery Lab, 560 N. Maybelle Ave.
Discovery Lab is offering a two-day camp for kids ages 6-10, "Don't Try This At Home," on March 18-19; a two-day camp for kids ages 8-12, "Robo Engineering," on March 20-21; and a one-day camp for kids ages 6-10, "Larger-Than-Life," on March 22. Get more information at discoverylab.org.
HI-TECH IN THE WILDERNESS: USING THE 3D PRINTER
- When: Tuesday-Thursday, March 19-21, 2-3 p.m.
- Where: Central Library, 400 Civic Center
Explore the ways you can use the 3D printer to prepare for your upcoming camping trip. Supplies are limited. Registration is required. Register online at www.tulsalibrary.org/events or call 918-549-7323. For ages 12-18.
SCIENCE DEMO AT DISCOVERY LAB
- When: Friday, March 22, 3:45 p.m.
- Where: Discovery Lab, 560 N. Maybelle Ave.
Enjoy a fun science demonstration at Discovery Lab! discoverylab.org
MAGIC MONDAY STORYTIME
- When: Monday, March 18, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Where: Magic City Books, 221 E. Archer St.
Bring the kids every Monday for storytime at Magic City Books. Classics, new favorites, and more. Snacks included. Free and open to all. magiccitybooks.com
STORYTELLING BY CHOOGIE KINGFISHER
- When: Monday, March 18, 1-2 p.m.
- Where: Suburban Acres Library, 4606 N. Garrison Ave.
Enjoy traditional storytelling of the Kituwah Cherokee along with flute music, song and good ole laughter (and maybe a few tears). Sponsored by the American Indian Resource Center. For all ages. tulsalibrary.org
HARRY POTTER ESCAPE ROOM FOR TEENS AND TWEENS: ESCAPE FROM GRINGOTTS
- When: Thursday-Friday, March 21-22
- Where: Helmerich Library, 5131 E. 91st St.
Wizards have been trying to break into Gringotts Bank for centuries, but few have succeeded. Now it's your turn to try! Gringotts Wizarding Bank is the safest place for anything valuable to be kept – especially one of Voldemort’s seven Horcruxes. Cast spells, make potions and solve puzzles to break into Gringotts and find the missing Horcrux before it’s too late! Limited seating and sessions are available. Registration is required. Call 918-549-7323 to register. Sponsored by the Friends of the Helmerich Library. For ages 10-18. tulsalibrary.org
CULTURE and HISTORY
THREE SISTERS CELEBRATION AT CHICKASAW CULTURAL CENTER
- When: March 16-24; Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 12-5 p.m.
- Where: Chickasaw Cultural Center, 867 Cooper Memorial Dr., Sulphur
This annual event observes the changing of the seasons and planting of essential crops like beans, corn and squash. Activities include gardening demonstrations, food samples, cultural demonstrations, archery, stickball, traditional arts, storytelling, stomp dance demonstrations and more. chickasawculturalcenter.com
Spring Break at Will Rogers Memorial Museums
- When: March 18-22, 1-3 p.m.
- Where: Will Rogers Memorial Museum (Monday, Wednesday and Friday), 1720 W. Will Rogers Blvd., Claremore; Will Rogers Birthplace Ranch (Tuesday and Thursday), 9501 E. 380 Rd., Oologah
Kids 17 and under can enjoy free admission and different activities at the Will Rogers Memorial Museums during Spring Break. Learn more at willrogers.com
FITNESS (Sponsored Section)
- When: March 18-19, 1-3 p.m.
- Where: Indian Springs Soccer Complex, 13600 South 145th East Ave., Broken Arrow, OK 74011 (145th East Ave is also known as Aspen Ave.)
- Ages: 9-17
Aimed at ages 9-17 and under the guidance of our PGK goalkeeper director Adam Kenes & his staff, keepers will learn the technical & tactical skills needed to become successful playing in the goal during game-like situations. Learn more at bascok.com and register here.
- When: March 18 OR 19; 8 a.m.-noon (session 1, ages 6-9) or 1-5 p.m. (session 2, ages 10-14)
- Where: Aspen Creek Elementary, 2800 W. Florence St., Broken Arrow
Thunder Youth Basketball camps, presented by Cox Communications, offer kids the opportunity to grow in the fundamentals of the game and engage in a hands-on, team-centric environment. Camp participants will be instructed on technical fundamentals, taking part in development drills to improve skill sets within defense, ball-handling, shooting, layups and more. Campers will receive a Thunder Youth Basketball camp T-shirt, camp basketball and water bottle. Learn more at okcthunder.com/youthbasketball or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When: March 14-15, 18-22, 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Where: Westside YMCA, 5400 S. Olympia Ave.
- Cost: $30/day; Non-members: $40/day
Spring Break is coming! Join us at the Westside YMCA for Kids' Day Out!
For more information, contact: 918.446.1424 or email@example.com
Spring Break at Gathering Place!
- When: March 18-22, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Where: Gathering Place, 2600 S. Riverside Dr.
Spring Break at Gathering Place will feature a variety of activities on a different theme each day! Monday's theme is Nature; Tuesday's is Wellness; Wednesday's is STEM Learning; Thursday's is Art & Music; and Friday is Family Day! Go to GatheringPlace.org/events for descriptions and a schedule of each day's activities.