Winter Break Activities
Whether you want to spend time indoors or outdoors, relaxing or learning something new, here is our list of ways to spend winter break in Tulsa!
It's probably tempting to want to spend Winter Break indoors, cozied up with Netflix and a never-ending stream of of hot chocolate. But when the kids start to get restless, don't panic: just come back here to our list of Winter Break Activities and try something new!
Free and Low-Cost Movies
- Where: Chickasaw Cultural Center, 867 Cooper Memorial Dr., Sulphur
- When: Dec. 1-29
Throughout December, Chickasaw Cultural Center will be hosting holiday movies for kids in their Anoli' Theater. Find the complete schedule here.
Where: Hardesty Library, 8316 E. 93rd St.
- Thursday, Dec. 21, 3-5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 23, 2-4 p.m.
Where: Brookside Library, 1207 E. 45th Pl.
"The Force Awakens"
- Friday, Dec. 22, 2-5 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 29, 2-5 p.m.
- When: Friday, Dec. 22, 6-9 p.m.
- Where: Philbrook Museum of Art, 2727 S. Rockford Rd.
- When: Friday, Dec. 22 at 7 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 23 at 2 p.m.
- Where: Circle Cinema, 10 S. Lewis Ave.
- When: Saturday, Dec. 23, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Where: Central Library, 400 Civic Center
- When: Saturday, Dec. 23, 2-4 p.m.
- Where: Zarrow Regional Library, 2224 W. 51st St.
- When: Sunday, Dec. 24, 6-9 p.m.
- Where: Philbrook Museum of Art, 2727 S. Rockford Rd.
Where: Broken Arrow Library, 300 W. Broadway
"The Polar Express"
- Tuesday, Dec. 25, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
"The Bridge to Terabithia"
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 1-3 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 28, 1-3 p.m.
"A Series of Unfortunate Events"
- Friday, Dec. 29, 1-3 p.m.
Indoor Family Fun*
*Holidays may affect the hours listed.
- Hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.; Closed Monday-Tuesday
- Price: $9 General Admission; $7 Senior Admission; Kids 17 and under are always free
- Location: 2727 S. Rockford Rd.
Voted the 2017 TulsaKids Family Favorite Cultural Spot/Museum, Philbrook is always a fun place to visit. But during the holiday season, Philbrook really shines! Children will be in awe as they walk in to hundreds of paper snowflakes hanging from the ceiling; plus, there is a Lego Village, thousands of lights around the gardens and more.
And don't forget about Philbrook Museum Downtown, too, located at 116 E. M.B. Brady Street. Philbrook Downtown's hours are Wednesday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11a.m.-9 p.m.; Closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Closed Mondays; Closed Christmas Day
- Price: $8 Adults; $6 Seniors and with Military ID.; $5 College Students w/ ID; Free for TU Students w/ ID; Free for Children 18 and younger.
- Location: 1400 N. Gilcrease Museum Rd.
The Gilcrease Museum has great kids programming throughout the year. For Winter Break, don't miss their Winter Workshops, Dec. 27-29 from 1-4 p.m. These workshops, which consist of art-making stations, are designed for children 3-15, who must be accompanied by an adult.
- Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Price: $6 Ages 2 and up; Free for children 2 and under
- Location: 560 N. Maybelle Rd.
Tulsa Children's Museum is currently home to the Red Dirt Dinos, a collection of three life-size, moving dinosaurs which all lived in Oklahoma long, long ago! If your kids haven't had a chance to see the dinos, winter break may be the perfect time to inspire them with a passion for paleontology.
Tulsa Children's Museum also hosts Winter Break Camps--if you are looking for a fun and educational camp option (this year's theme is "Sweet Science"--your kids can learn all about candy!), get more information here.
- Museum Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Planetarium Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (last show begins at 3 p.m.)
- Price (includes one planetarium show): $15 Adults; $12 Seniors (62 and over) or with Military ID; $10 Ages 5-17; Free Ages 4 and Under. Individual Planetarium Shows can be purchased for $7 each; MD-80 Tours (separate charge; Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m.) are $5
- Location: 3624 N. 74th E. Ave.
Let your kids discover the joy and history of aviation at the Tulsa Air & Space Museum! Learn more about the museum's permanent exhibits here.
- Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Tuesday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. (last ticket sold 1 hour prior to closing); Closed Christmas Day
- Price: $15.95 Adults; $13.95 for Seniors (62+) and Military; $11.95 Children 3-12; Free for children 2 and under
- Location: 300 Aquarium Drive, Jenks
Pay a visit to the Oklahoma Aquarium's newest exhibit, Sea Turtle Island, and experience perennial favorites like the Shark Adventure! The Oklahoma Aquarium offers daily feed shows, too; check their schedule here.
- Hours: Reserve your spot at one of BounceU's Open Bounce sessions or Preschool Playdates! Open Bounce sessions over Winter Break include: Dec. 26, 1:30-3 p.m.; Dec. 27, 4-5:30 p.m. and Dec. 29, 1:30-3 p.m. Preschool Playdate sessions include: Dec. 26, 10-11:30 a.m.; Dec. 28, 3-4:30 p.m.; and Dec. 29, 10-11:30 a.m.; Also, don't miss Cosmic Bounce on Dec. 29 at 6:30 p.m.
- Price: $7.99/person for Open Bounce and Preschool Playdates; $8.99/person for Cosmic Bounce
- Location: 8922 S. Memorial Dr., Suite A
If your kids are feeling bored or restless over winter break, take them to BounceU, where they can bounce to their hearts' content on a wide selection of fun inflatables. Reserve your spot online beforehand, as special bounce sessions are subject to changing times and occasional cancellations.
- Hours and Price: Varies depending on the day's activities. See schedule and pricing information here.
- Location: 10637 N. Garnett Rd., Owasso
Wheels and Thrills is fun for the whole family and offers skating, an arcade, laser tag, a playzone and more! Special events include Family Fun Nights on Thursday from 4:30-8:30 p.m., Midnight Madness on Fridays from 4 p.m.-12 a.m., and Tiny Tots for children ages 6 and under on Thursdays from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Want to skate into 2018? Go here for more information about Wheels and Thrills' New Years Eve All Night Skate!
- Hours: Brookside Location--Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 1-5 p.m; South Tulsa Location--Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m; Sunday, 1-5 p.m.
- Price: Varies
- Location: Brookside--3303 S. Peoria Ave.; South Tulsa--6529 E. 91st St.
At Purple Glaze, you get to let your creativity run wild by painting a piece of pottery, which Purple Glaze then glazes and fires, creating a lasting, useful piece of art. Choose from decorative pieces such as animal figurines or functional ones like mugs and bowls!
Tulsa City-County Libraries have fun, free activities for children of all ages every day, from storytimes to gaming to crafting and much more. Most of these are listed on TulsaKids' online calendar, which can be found at www.tulsakids.com/things-to-do.
Why not challenge your family to a friendly holiday bowling tournament? The Tulsa area has several bowling alleys, including Andy B's Tulsa, Dust Bowl Lanes & Lounge, Main Event, AMF Sheridan Lanes, Broken Arrow Lanes and The Lanes at Coffee Creek in Owasso.
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-9 p.m; Saturday, 10:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Price: Price varies depending on desired activities. Find pricing information here.
- Location: 8314 E. 71st St.
Incredible Pizza was voted TulsaKids Family Favorite for "Favorite Party Location" and was a runner-up in the "Favorite Entertainment" Category. With entertainment options ranging from go-karts to glow golf to laser tag, arcade games and more, Incredible Pizza will provide your entire family with hours of fun!
Take a day to explore the Tulsa Arts District with your family! The district houses galleries and museums, including Philbrook Downtown, 108 Contemporary, AHHA Tulsa, and the Woody Guthrie Center, as well as retail shops like Glacier Confection, Magic City Books and Made: An Indie Emporium. Take a break from shopping and gallery-hopping to grab lunch at one of the area's MANY restaurants (including the new Lone Wolf restaurant!) or perhaps a hot chocolate from Ida Red.
*Holidays may affect the hours listed
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily (last ticket sold at 4:30 p.m.); closed Christmas Day
- Price: $10 Adults; $8 Seniors (65+); $6 Ages 3-11; Free for children 2 and under
- Location: 6421 E. 36th St. N.
While we are listing the Tulsa Zoo under the "Outdoor Fun" category, it is also possible to make the most of a zoo visit while largely remaining indoors. But if the weather is clement, be sure to pay a visit to The Lost Kingdom and its winter resident Bo, a red panda.
- Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Price: $8 General Admission; $4 for Children 3-12 years old; Free for children 2 and under
- Location: 3900 Tulsa Botanic Dr.
Tulsa Botanic Garden is located in the Osage Hills northwest of Tulsa. The scenery of the Osage Hills is lovely in itself, but the Tulsa Botanic Garden is also home to the Tandy Floral Terraces, designed in a tribute to the art deco style and on which are planted over 8,000 plants. Children won't want to miss the Children's Discovery Garden and its spring giant, tree fort, animal sculptures and more. If you want some additional exercise, walk around the Lakeside Promenade, or hike the Cross Timbers Trail.
- Hours: Open until curfew (curfew is 11 p.m.-5 a.m.)
- Price: FREE!
- Location: 6850 S. Elwood Ave.
Turkey Mountain is Tulsa's Urban Wilderness and is a great place to hike, run or even mountain bike with your family over winter break (weather permitting, of course!).
- Hours: Gates are open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Interpretive Center is open from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and 12-4:30 p.m. on Sundays
- Price: FREE!
- Location: Located within Mohawk Park. Find directions here.
The Oxley Nature Center offers over 9 miles of trails and spans 800 acres, housing an impressive variety of wildlife. Bring your binoculars!
- Hours: 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Price: FREE!
- Location: 6500 W. 21st St.
In addition to beautiful hiking trails, Chandler Park also offers rock climbing, playgrounds and picnic grounds, a baseball complex, disc golf and more. Plus, Chandler Park's Lights on the Hill is one of the premier Christmas Light displays in Tulsa! See their schedule here.
- Hours: Open daily from 6 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Price: FREE!
- Location: 111 E. M.B. Brady St.
Guthrie Green is decked out for the holidays! See the colorful Christmas lights all month long and enjoy special holiday-themed activities on weekends in December (Friday-Sunday) from 7-10 p.m., including the GLOW Express Holiday Train, visits from Santa and live entertainment.
Tulsa has two skate parks: the River SkatePark, located at 464 W. 23rd St. (5 a.m.-11 p.m.), and Skatenorth, at 2910 E. 56th St. N. (7 a.m.-9 p.m.). Learn more about these here. Additionally, Broken Arrow's Nienhuis Skate Park, located at 3201 N. 9th St., is open from sunrise to sunset, and Owasso's Skate Park, located at 456 S. Main St., is open daily from 6 a.m.-11 p.m.