Aug 31, 201210:00 AMHoneybee Mama
Improving Birth Rally in Tulsa
This is not a debate between women who plan on getting their epidural in the parking lot of the hospital as they're in labor and those crazy crunch granola women who want a natural childbirth experience. This is a presentation of facts.
The fact is, in spite of our ever increasing access to and use of technology and outlandish spending on maternity care in our country, the U.S. ranks behind 40 other developed nations in regards to maternal mortality rates. This means that more women die from childbirth related causes in our country than in 48 other countries. Do you find this shocking?
Consider these facts:
- Cesarean sections pose substantial risks to both mother and baby.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) suggests that average rates of cesarean sections should not be above 10-15%.
- The average rate of cesarean births in The United States in 2009 was 32.9%.
- With proper maternity care, induction of labor could be less than 10%, yet in the U.S. it's 34%.
- Oklahoma’s c-section rate is above the national average at 34.2%. This means our state has the 12th highest c-section rate in the U.S.
- Because of maternal death rates in our country, Amnesty International says, "It's more dangerous to give birth in the United States than in 49 other countries."
- There is no one mandated way of documenting maternal deaths in the United States. This means our count of women who have died as a result of complications in childbirth is likely below what is actually true. See this article.
To bring awareness to these facts and to rally to improve birth in our country with Evidence Based Maternity Care, The National Rally for Change will take place in cities across the nation, on Labor Day, 2012. This coming Monday, September 3rd, join men, women, children, birth and postpartum doulas, midwifes, childbirth educators and those who care about improving birth statistics and experiences in our country.
Tulsa's Rally will be held at Whole Foods Market, at 41st and Peoria, from 10:00AM - 12:00PM. I will have a booth set up for Honeybee Mama. DONEOK and Tulsa Doulas will be represented, among many other birth workers from the Tulsa Metro. I will have products available for purchase and will make appointments for doula services. There will also be numerous giveaways and great information available!
Come see me!