Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cake Is a Delicious Snack
At this time of year, you may have an abundance of zucchini, or you may just want another excuse to eat chocolate. Either way, this cake fits the bill. Zucchini may seem like a weird ingredient to put into cake, but it makes it very moist. It seems to be a hit with everyone who’s tasted it, so give it a try.
Here’s the recipe: Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8 inch pan
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unbleached white flour (if you want to use all whole wheat, that’s fine, too)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- dash of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar (don’t pack it down too hard)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups fresh, grated zucchini
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
In a small bowl stir together the flour, cocoa power, baking powder and salt.
In a larger bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the brown sugar until smooth. Add the egg, sour cream or yogurt, milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Spread the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
Melt ½ cup dark chocolate chips in a double boiler or the microwave. Stir in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or melted butter. Pour over the top of the cake. Add chopped walnuts or pecans, if you like.